Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I ran 10 miles today :) and then I got on the internet :(

Note: I wrote this last Sunday, but wasn't ready to publish it until today.


I swear. The internet is the BEST and the WORST motivator.

After I finished my 10 mile run, at a 12:30 pace, I came home excited to learn how I could continue to improve my pace. While I iced my achilles (trying to avoid the dreaded tendonitis that I developed last year at this time), I google searched "how to run faster".

While I found a lot of helpful and supportive advice. I first had to wade through this ridiculousness:

What's the best way for really slow runners (12 minute/mile pace) to get faster? 

      "Just tell them to stop eating so damn much. Seriously."


      "I'm no elitist or anything, but 12 min/mile is pitiful for an experienced runner (unless we're talking     about senior citizens here)."


      "You cannot give them pride in themselves if they do not want it"


Yuck! Who are these people to say such things? While I often rely on the internet for support and advice in my running endeavours, I think that it's better to shut it down occassionally. I'm really my own best critic, and have to work hard to drown out the negative voices in my head.

That being said, I do have speed goals. Here they are, in no particular order.


  • Continue to do speedwork on Thursdays and long runs on Saturdays (even after the Hippie Chick half)
  • Run two shorter races this summer, and run for speed. I'm pretty sure that I can run a 5K at 10:30 min/mile
  • Cross train with strength moves twice a week
  • Weight loss - I would feel a lot better if I lost the extra chub. I'm at the high end of normal on the BMI, but I know that I would move better with a 14 pound weight loss. I lost 10 pounds with Diet Bet, and I've been maintaining that for a month. Time to get back at it.
  • Resist the urge to slog through a marathon until my speed improves. Maybe another half-marathon in the fall.

Has anyone used the training plan from Run Less, Run Faster? Any advice from readers is appreciated.

Miss Prickly

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some ugly people. I've cut about 2 minutes off my pace by doing weekly speed workouts. I run 4 miles at an easy pace and then do speed intervals at the end. I cut my previous half PR by 22 minutes with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is soooo awful! But, I have to admit that's how I feel like people look at me all the time. I work hard, I train hard, but I don't run fast end of story. My husband were just having the conversation the other day about why some people just naturally seem to run slower...I don't know why. Many people I know will go from not running at all, do a coach to 5K program or something like that and easily just naturally run a 9:30 to 10:00 mile...or faster. I've been running 4 years, and I'm still in the 11:30ish range, with slower runs in the 12s. It's frustrating to say the least. I still think there is mechanically something different about slower runners. I may be able to get faster, but I'm never going to be an 8 min miler no matter how hard I work, and I'm ok with that. I always say I just want to be "average".

    On Run Less, Run Faster...I have the book, never did it. My husband thinks it's a bad idea...he's all about mileage period. Just one opinion though.

    You and I are in the same boat on weight too. I'm in my healthy BMI range, but know that shedding a few more pounds will put me at a better ideal racing weight.

    Good Luck with all of it!!

    ReplyDelete